What’s this career all about?
Civil engineers design, construct and maintain structures that make up our world. Such structures can include highways, skyscrapers, railways, bridges and water reservoirs.
What kind of courses do Civil Engineers study in school?
- Construction Engineering
- Environmental Impact and Risk Assessment
- Engineering Design and Professional Practice
- Structural Engineering and Building Science
- Law and Contracts in Civil Engineering
What are some cool projects that Civil Engineers get to work on?
- Build accessible shelters for hurricane and flooding victims
- Plan and design major projects like buildings, roads, and bridges.
- Designing airport runway systems to help reduce airport delays
- Supplying clean water and disposing of wastewater
- Rebuilding a deteriorating urban infrastructure
- Creating structures to withstand natural disasters
What are qualities of a Civil Engineer?
- Can network and speak to groups to facilitate discussion
- Good grasp of math and physics
- Excellent risk assessment skills
How do Civil Engineers contribute to making the world a better place?
Without Civil Engineers, we wouldn’t have highways, bridges, or even water in our houses. They build and design the things we use on a daily basis to get our life essentials.
They make structures possible and make them safe, efficient, and practical.